The 135-year-old Salem Club has a che-quered history. It’s one of the few facades in Salem that still retains the old charm of the British Raj.
In 1860, when coffee plantations were established in Yercaud, a handful of Englishman, who settled in the hills.Wanted to have a recreation Centre in Salem. For they had to go to salem very often for business purpose. The erstwhile zamindar of Salem, G Fredrick Fischer(1805-1867) provided them land in the Centre of Salem, on the way to Yercaud (the corner of the Saradha College Road in Hasthampatti). The Salem Club was thus born in 1870.