With open Air, Circular dining place, surrounded by the huge green...
The 150-year-old Salem Club has a chequered history. It’s one of the few facades in Salem that still retains the old charm of the British Raj.
In 1860, when coffee plantations were established in Yercaud. A handful of Englishman who settled in the hills, wanted a recreation Centre in Salem as they came to Salem from Yercaud very often for business and affliation. The erstwhile zamindar of Salem, G Fredrick Fischer(1805-1867) provided them land in the Centre of Salem, on the way to Yercaud (the corner of the Saradha College Road in Hasthampatti). The Salem Club was thus born in 1870.
The club, incorporated as a company, was exclusively for Englishmen. In 1970, the rules were relaxed to take in Indians as members. Ganapathy, the owner of Imperials Theater, was the first Indian member.
The club had large sheds to park the chariots and coaches in which the Englishmen traveled. The space where the petrol bunk is presently located, adjacent to the club, was the workout area.